The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Sunday Herald gets print circulation boost
- Scotland Tonight: BRIT awards celebrates its 35th year
- Scotland Tonight: MPs defeat Labour call for paid directorships ban
- Scotland Tonight: Should the 2022 World Cup be played in winter?
- Green leader apologises to party members after on-air meltdown
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on actor and director Alan Rickman
- Party suspends whip from Rifkind after cash-for-access allegations