The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Are people with learning disabilities still bullied in Scotland?
- Would free contraception for 13-year-olds bring down pregnancy rate?
- Greg Hemphill and Robert Florence prepare for wrestling bout
- Is the G8 a talking shop for world leaders or capable of change?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Moors Murderer Ian Brady 'suffers from paranoid schizophrenia'
- What does the future hold for Hearts as administration looms large?