The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Warning over defence jobs and contracts if Scotland leaves UK
- UK debt share settlement 'key to post-independence economic outlook'
- Scotland Tonight: Schools debate winners share their experiences
- Scotland Tonight talks to Nicola Sturgeon ahead of SNP conference
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Actor Robbie Coltrane to open new £30m Glasgow School of Art building
- New ten-year plan for the arts unveiled by Creative Scotland