The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: The life, death and legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is UKIP north of the border at war with itself?
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?
- Scotland Tonight: A reflection on the The Clutha helicopter crash