The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Author and activist Owen Jones on his new book
- Scotland Tonight: Will Creative Scotland's film strategy pan out?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Holyrood needs more infrastructure powers, devo commission to hear
- Former FM McConnell calls for Scottish Labour to rediscover values
- Finland to back Scottish Government's minimum alcohol pricing plan
- Chief medical officer: Scotland 'well prepared' for Ebola outbreak