The Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the thought of prisoners voting makes him feel 'physically ill'.
A blanket ban on the practice has been in place for 140 years.
But European judges say that the UK's policy is a breach of human rights, and the Westminster government has until this Friday to comply with a Strasbourg court ruling
Scotland Tonight looked at the issue and discussed it in the studion with solicitor advocate John Scott, Chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform in Scotland; and with Scottish Daily Mail columnist Katie Grant.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Murphy: Decisions on Scottish Labour will be made in Scotland
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on the career of comic actor Tony Roper
- Lothians MSP Sarah Boyack announces bid to lead Scottish Labour
- Brown 'won't enter the race to be the next Scottish Labour leader'
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Photobomb named word of year as dictionary adds 50,000 words
- Scotland Tonight: Author and activist Owen Jones on his new book