Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?
- Scotland Tonight: Is UKIP north of the border at war with itself?
- Scotland Tonight: A reflection on the The Clutha helicopter crash
- STV shows interactive Google+ hangout debate on Scottish independence
- Watch STV's interactive Google+ hangout debate on Scottish independence
- Nicola Sturgeon winner of STV debate, say political analysts