Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Sunday Herald gets print circulation boost
- Scotland Tonight: BRIT awards celebrates its 35th year
- Scotland Tonight: MPs defeat Labour call for paid directorships ban
- Scotland Tonight: Should the 2022 World Cup be played in winter?
- Green leader apologises to party members after on-air meltdown
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on actor and director Alan Rickman
- Party suspends whip from Rifkind after cash-for-access allegations