Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- SNP, Plaid Cymru and Greens 'invited to join election TV debates'
- STV poll: Quarter of Scots more likely to vote Yes after Smith Commission
- Scotland Tonight: New TV campaign to prevent problem gambling
- Scotland Tonight: Film producers to demand MSPs safeguard industry
- UK government welcomes news that The Sun has dropped Page 3 girls
- World's richest 1% will own more than other 99% by 2016, says Oxfam
- SNP will renew calls to scrap Trident nuclear weapons system