Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- EU referendum question revealed as Bill goes before parliament
- SNP could propose full fiscal autonomy plan in more powers Bill
- FIFA corruption arrests underline need for Blatter to go, says Regan
- Queen's Speech is 'early test' of Tories' pledge for more powers
- Foreign aid helps Malawi improve conditions on maternity wards
- Lib Dem: Commons would empty 'very fast' if lying MPs had to quit
- Scotland Tonight: Ireland goes to the polls in gay marriage vote