Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on MP Jim Murphy's tour of the nation
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Oil and gas set to run out within 35 years, says energy expert
- MSPs clash on claims about impact of independence on future of NHS
- Fresh call for First Minister to reveal his currency 'plan B'
- Ex-Labour minister and top doctor Sam Galbraith dies aged 68
- One month until Scotland goes to polls for independence referendum