Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: French Alps Germanwings plane crash disaster
- Scotland Tonight: Cameron and Miliband in first major TV clash
- More powers 'vow' swayed three percent of No voters, finds report
- Last pre-election PMQs: Cameron labels Miliband 'Salmond's poodle'
- Blood inquiry calls for hepatitis C tests for Scots treated before 1991
- Scotland Tonight: Author discusses his family's secret Nazi past
- Scotland Tonight: Is personality politics a recipe for success?