Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Spotlight on Team Scotland's Commonwealth Games medal hopefuls
- Games 2014 security 'will not compromise policing across country'
- Plaid Cymru leader: Independent Scotland would be 'a beacon'
- Scotland Tonight: Tin Forest introduces Games cultural programme
- Scotland Tonight: Nelson Mandela International Day marked in Glasgow
- Lib Dems withdraw support for controversial 'bedroom tax' policy
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show