Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Sir Jackie Stewart speaks out on his dyslexia and career in racing
- Labour leader candidate launches plan for greater workplace rights
- Murphy: 'Miliband can read about my tax proposals like everyone else'
- C. diff inquiry: Failures led to at least 34 deaths at Vale of Leven
- Newspaper launched 'to fly a vibrant flag for independence'
- Commonwealth gold medal boxer on why he is turning professional
- Alex Salmond resigns as First Minister in statement to Holyrood