Lord McAlpine has vowed to go after Twitter users who wrongly linked him to child abuse allegations following a botched BBC Newsnight investigation.
Lawyers for the Tory Peer have warned they are using technology to track people down and seek "settlements".
The Commons Speaker's wife Sally Bercow is among those being targeted.
some of the comments on Twitter were forwarded, or retweeted, more than 100,000 times.
Lord McAlpine's lawyers insist they know everyone who used his name - and if people do not come forward to reach an agreement first, they will be chased down.
Scotland Tonight looked at the situation, and discussed it with social media consultant Craig McGill.
More About Scotland Tonight
- 11 charts that show what people think about the future of Scotland
- Defence review: Clyde shipyards to build eight frigates for Navy
- Kevin Bridges talks meltdowns, mid-gig selfies and going Dutch
- Scotland Tonight: Best-selling Outlander author Diana Gabaldon
- Scotland Tonight: Are we heading for an antibiotic apocalypse?
- Scotland Tonight: Pressure on Corbyn as Labour divisions exposed
- Support among Scots to remain in EU at strongest level yet, poll finds