A patient has been charged with attacking a pensioner who was receiving treatment in hospital.
The 79-year-old man who was allegedly attacked is fighting for his life in Wishaw General Hospital in North Lanarkshire after the incident took place there.
Strathclyde Police said a 45-year-old man who was also a patient at the hospital has been arrested after the incident at 5am on Thursday.
He is expected to appear at Hamilton Sheriff Court in connection with the assault on Tuesday.
An NHS Lanarkshire health board spokeswoman said: "NHS Lanarkshire are assisting police with their inquiries into an incident which took place within Wishaw General Hospital relating to a 45-year-old male inpatient and an alleged assault on a 79-year-old in-patient."
A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman added: "A 45-year-old man has been arrested following an alleged assault on a 79-year-old man within Wishaw General Hospital at 5am on Thursday."
People who read this story also read
- Five men arrested for 'rioting and mobbing' in Glasgow city centre
- Four-year-old boy sexually abused in Asda while shopping with mother
- Attack on man found lying in the street treated as attempted murder
- Flooding forces closure of Prestwick Airport and roads in heavy downpour
- Inquiry after pensioner found severely bleeding in 'squalid' home