Ron Halliday has spent the last 30 years of his life trying to explain the unexplained. The author, whose books include UFO Scotland and Edinburgh After Dark, believes Scotland is now a haven of UFO activity.
In an exclusive interview with STV, Ron - a 60-year-old retired assistant registrar at Stirling University - said: "I think Scotland is like a world hot spot. All the UFO sightings. All the ghost sightings. All the monster sightings. Poltergeists.
"There is just so much that goes on in Scotland, it is absolutely incredible. It is very hard to explain why Scotland has all these reported incidents."
Ron became interested in UFOs from a young age and started to research it seriously when he was 30. But what is it about the unexplained which interests him and millions of others around the world?
"The whole mystery of it. People claim all these strange experiences which are at odds with our everyday reality. You don’t walk down the street and expect to see an alien. The whole thing just seems completely bizarre.
"Things like Independence Day and The X-Files have stimulated people’s interest in the whole subject. It the media show interest in UFOs then it definitely generates more UFO reports because people come forward and say they have seen things.
"There are so many people taking photos these days, but there is also greater scepticism. It is very easy to fabricate a UFO picture. The thing that people interested in UFOs find hard to accept is why aliens don’t just land in George Square in Glasgow so TV crews can come and film them?
"I am sceptical too. But when you speak to people who have had these experiences, get their perspective on the thing - there is no particular reason why they would make this up."
- Ron Halliday’s UFO Top Ten – Ten-Six
- Ron Halliday's UFO Top Ten – The Top Five
- Picture Gallery - Strange Scotland
More About Strange Scotland
- Skeleton from 'Dominican friary graveyard' found during city centre dig
- Secrets of mysterious Aberdeenshire museum mummy head revealed
- Mechanics find snake under bonnet as they try to jump start car
- Long-lost First World War shipwrecks rediscovered in North Sea
- Dinosaurs extinct because of 'colossal bad luck', study suggests
- Opening ceremony's giant dancing teacakes are put up for auction
- 'Fowl' play as chicken rescued from outside KFC fast food restaurant