Dumfries and Galloway Councillor Ted Brown has died after taking ill at a council meeting.
The Labour councillor, who represented the Annandale North Ward, had been attending a Planning, Housing and Environment Services Committee meeting when he became unwell on Tuesday.
An ambulance was called and and the councillor was taken to Dumfries and Galloway Infirmary, where he died a short time later.
A spokesman for Dumfries and Galloway Council said: "It is with deep regret that Dumfries and Galloway Council announces that one of its most respected members, Labour Councillor Ted Brown has died today, after being taken ill at a council meeting this morning."
Elaine Murray, Labour MSP for Dumfriesshire, said on Twitter: "Devasted at loss of friend and colleague Cllr Ted Brown this morning. Thoughts are with Raj and their daughters. RIP, comrade xx."
Mr Brown, from Lockerbie, had been a councillor since 2007.
People who read this story also read
- Drink-driver caused death of father after charity golf event
- Man killed after glider crashes during take off from airport
- 690 drivers caught speeding on notorious A9 in ten-day campaign
- Man appears in court over car collision that killed mother at beach
- Teenager who died in scooter accident on country road is named