Scotland Tonight heard from an independent think-tank ahead of a vote on the controversial Aberdeen Union Terrace Gardens.
John MacKay spoke to Ross Martin from the Centre for Scottish Public Policy.
Mr Martin said a public space "where people can interact" is important in every city but the question is whether the plans are in "the right place".
Councillors are expected to vote on the £140m redevelopment on Wednesday.
The group representing business leaders behind the project were unable to put up a guest for Scotland Tonight.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Has Yes Scotland done enough to make the case for independence?
- Should the ten First Division clubs break away and form SPL2?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Can anything be done to save Scotland's endangered species?
- How can we protect ourselves from the threat of terrorist attacks?
- How relevant is sectarianism to life in modern Scotland?
- Should Scotland vote Yes or No for a brighter economic future?