The SNP Government has no political mandate to hold a multi-option referendum offering greater powers for the Scottish Parliament.
That was the view expressed on Wednesday by Westminster's Scottish Affairs committee.
Last week, in a separate report, it asserted that Holyrood currently has no legal power to hold any sort of independence referendum.
Scotland Tonight’s Rona Dougall was joined to debate the issue with the Chairman of the Commons Scottish Affairs Committee, Labour MP Ian Davidson and the SNP MSP and former constitutional affairs minister Linda Fabiani.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Can anything be done to save Scotland's endangered species?
- How can we protect ourselves from the threat of terrorist attacks?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Should Scotland vote Yes or No for a brighter economic future?
- How relevant is sectarianism to life in modern Scotland?
- How will Kirk's decision to allow gay ministers affect the church?
- What would impact of independence be for pensions and savings?