The SNP Government has no political mandate to hold a multi-option referendum offering greater powers for the Scottish Parliament.
That was the view expressed on Wednesday by Westminster's Scottish Affairs committee.
Last week, in a separate report, it asserted that Holyrood currently has no legal power to hold any sort of independence referendum.
Scotland Tonight’s Rona Dougall was joined to debate the issue with the Chairman of the Commons Scottish Affairs Committee, Labour MP Ian Davidson and the SNP MSP and former constitutional affairs minister Linda Fabiani.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Does STV poll show momentum shifting in favour of independence?
- How much of a problem is rowdy behaviour at football matches?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: The life, death and legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?