Scotland’s greatest Olympian Sir Chris Hoy is set to get the Freedom of Edinburgh.
A report is being prepared for councillors, the first step in awarding the cyclist with the honour.
It comes after Sir Chris won his fifth gold medal at London 2012 on Thursday when, along with teammates Philip Hindes and Jason Kenny, he won the team sprint. He also has a silver medal.
As well as clinching the gold medal, the team also broke the world record when they beat France in the final.
The City of Edinburgh Council are set to now make the cyclist a Freeman of the Capital.
Cllr Steve Cardownie said: "I have set the wheels in motion towards bestowing Sir Chris Hoy with the Freedom of the City.
"Sir Chris should certainly be honoured for his sportsmanship. The fact that he has scaled the greatest of sporting heights and hails from Edinburgh is just fantastic. There has never been a sportsman like him from Edinburgh."
Once the report has been prepared, a motion will go before a full meeting of the council later this year. To be approved, 75% of councillors will have to vote in favour.
On Friday, the Royal Mail painted a post box in the centre of Edinburgh to celebrate Sir Chris’ win as well as producing a stamp with the men’s sprint team on it.
You can watch the documentary The Scots Going for Gold on the STV Player.
More About Olympics 2012
- Team GB Handball coach ready for homecoming game at Ravenscraig
- Olympic rower Katherine Grainger receives CBE from Princess Royal
- Jamie McLaughlin named East Kilbride Pirates' player of the year
- Opinion: Is Andy Murray the greatest ever Scottish sportsman?
- Day in quotes: Edinburgh Parade and Sir Chris Hoy's Freedom of the City
- Edinburgh’s parade in pictures, Tweets and Olympic medals
- Sir Chris Hoy receives the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh
- Sir Chris Hoy: Six gold medals and Scotland's greatest Olympian
- Sir Chris Hoy to carry flag for Team GB at Olympic opening ceremony
People who read this story also read
- Chris Hoy wins fifth gold medal with victory in the men's team sprint
- Woman set fire to herself after failing driving test for fourth time
- Sister told 999 operator: 'I just stabbed my wee brother in the heart'
- Londoner accused of kidnap and blackmail plot detained by Scottish police
- Proposals put forward to regenerate two areas of the capital