A motorist died in a head-on smash after his car careered over a central reservation.
The 35-year-old died in hospital after the collision in North Lanarkshire on Thursday evening.
His blue Subaru Impreza crossed the central reservation while travelling east in Motherwell’s Shields Road and collided with a blue Renault Scenic that was driving west.
Strathclyde Police said the driver was taken to Wishaw General Hospital where he died a short time after the smash, which occurred at around 5.25pm.
The 54-year-old man who was driving the Renault was also taken to Wishaw General Hospital but was released after treatment.
Police closed the road while dealing with the smash. A report on the fatal crash will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.
Constable Dougie Bryson is appealing for witnesses to the crash to contact him at the divisional road policing unit on 01698 483000.
People who read this story also read
- Sister told 999 operator: 'I just stabbed my wee brother in the heart'
- Woman set fire to herself after failing driving test for fourth time
- Three men killed in Cumbernauld dual carriageway crash named
- Victim's face 'blow-torched' in two-day torture ordeal over debt
- Firearms police officers cordon off city street over 'armed man'