A man has died after appearing to have been struck by a train near Forres station.
Police responded to reports of a body on the line close to the Moray station at around 2pm on Friday.
A spokesman for the British Transport Police confirmed on Saturday that a man’s body had been found on the line and that his injuries were “consistent with being struck by a train”. He added that there were no suspicious circumstances and that inquiries would continue.
Passengers were delayed following the discovery. One passenger, who did not wish to be named, said that they were informed of the nature of the incident.
He added that the mood on the train was quiet and praised Scotrail staff who ensured they were kept informed, providing refreshments before they were eventually allowed to proceed on the Inverness-bound train.
Police said they were in the process of identifying the man and informing members of his family.
People who read this story also read
- Benefit cheat who claimed income support despite savings has £11,000 seized
- Teenager tortured and sexually assaulted young student in flat
- Army move to Moray allows Sergeant Phil to 'come home'
- Four bogus police officers hunted after trying to con way into home
- Elgin City set fair for Ibrox early in the new season