A crisis in supplying security staff for the Olympic Games has caused concern over football games played in Scotland as part of London 2012.
Private firm G4S admitted that it will not have enough personnel trained and in place for the start of the 2012 Games on July 27.
In response, the UK Government has drafted in 3500 Ministry of Defence staff to help secure the major event that gets under way in three weeks time.
Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Friday she has now sought reassurances from Home Secretary Theresa May over the supply of security staff at the eight matches that will be held at Hampden between July 25 and August 3.
She said: "Having the Olympic football tournaments here in Scotland is an exciting chance for people across the country to get in to the spirit of the games, however the priority for the Scottish Government is to ensure that visiting teams and spectators alike are both safe and secure.
"It is particularly worrying to learn of suggestions that, in some instances, training may not be delivered to G4S staff until after the football has actually taken place in Glasgow. The Cabinet Secretary for Justice and his officials have been keeping in close contact with Strathclyde Police and Mr MacAskill is confident in their ability to police the Games.
"Nevertheless we would be grateful for a firm and immediate assurances that any individual being employed at Hampden will be suitably qualified and trained."
Earlier this week the Scottish Government announced it was giving away 50,000 of the 250,000 tickets to the football games at Hampden for free to children and young people. This came amid reports of poor ticket sales for the matches to be played at the National Stadium.
More than £200m was wiped off the security firm's market value amid accusations that the company has let the country down through its failure to provide up to 17,500 workers under a £284m contract.
Home Secretary Theresa May told MPs that ministers were only told of the "absolute gap in the numbers" on Wednesday.
But Mrs May denied it was a "shambles" and insisted there was "no question of Olympic security being compromised".
Prime Minister David Cameron said on Thursday that G4S should lose out as a result of its failure to fulfil the deal it struck with the government.
He added: "I'm absolutely clear that if companies don't deliver on their contract then they should be pursued for that money. I think we should be raising our sights, and thinking of the incredible inspiration that these Games are going to bring.
"The facilities are built, the country is ready, we are in really good shape."
- Free ticket giveaway scheme for Olympic football at Hampden extended
- Saltire to fly over Hampden during Olympics following U-turn on ban
- Hampden rehearses Olympic security plans
People who read this story also read
- Four bogus police officers hunted after trying to con way into home
- Scotland Tonight: Alex Thomson and Archie Macpherson discuss Rangers vote
- Benefit cheat who claimed income support despite savings has £11,000 seized
- Nursery worker filmed himself sexually abusing two young brothers
- Rangers crisis: Whyte's parent company in 'oldco' purchase to be struck off