Two cats were found abandoned outside a vet’s clinic in west Edinburgh on Tuesday night.
The Scottish SPCA has appealed for anybody with information that might help them find the person who dumped the animals.
The cats which have been named Mickey and Donald were discovered outside West End Vets surgery in Davidson’s Mains by a local resident at 8.30pm.
Senior Inspector John Toule collected the male cats and took them to the Scottish SPCA's Edinburgh and Lothians Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre at Balerno where they are now being cared for.
SI Toule said: "Mickey and Donald are in good condition which suggests they've been well looked after up until now.
"A local resident reported seeing a woman of large build with long hair and wearing a dark coloured raincoat carrying a pet carrier on the street shortly before the abandoned animals were discovered. The female was also accompanied by a child.
"We are very keen to speak to this person and anyone else who recognises Mickey and Donald."
Anyone with information about this incident can contact the Scottish SPCA Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999.
People who read this story also read
- Runaway pufflings attracted by the bright lights of the city
- Treasurer accused of stealing more than £24,000 from after school club
- Portable hotel erected in centre of Edinburgh for festival season
- Benefit cheat has £6279 confiscated after lying she was a single parent
- Rangers crisis: Whyte's parent company in 'oldco' purchase to be struck off