A man is fighting for his life in hospital after his car crashed into a road sign.
The 77-year-old was injured after his Renault Clio crossed the central reservation of a road in South Lanarkshire on Tuesday evening and hit the sign.
Police said the incident happened on High Blantyre Road in Hamilton at around 6.50pm. No other vehicles were involved.
The driver was taken to Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride, where his condition is described as critical.
The southbound carriageway was closed for around three and a half hours before being reopened.
An investigation is currently under way to establish the exact cause of the crash. Anyone with any information is asked to contact PC Kevin Swift at Motherwell Police Office on 01698 483 300.
People who read this story also read
- Two injured after car overturns on busy Clydeside Express Way
- 'Taxi for Govan Road': Neighbours complain over anti-social cab firm parrot
- Man repeatedly raped mother and child over period of five years
- Armed robbers threaten petrol station assistant at gunpoint
- Man raped woman in hotel room and kicked out second victim's teeth