Vandals left £1200 of damage after digging holes to prepare to steal copper cabling.
Joggers and dog walkers are being warned to take care when using Cockpen Crescent in Bonnyrigg as the holes are large.
The lampposts are also not working after the incident.
The holes appeared between 11pm on Friday and 7am on Saturday and it is thought they were dug to prepare for copper cabling to be removed.
Lothian and Borders Police are appealing for witnesses to the damage.
A police spokesperson said: "We are appealing for anyone with any information regarding this incident to contact us.
"We would also take this opportunity to remind people that this kind of activity is extremely dangerous, and anyone involved is putting their own safety, and the safety of others, at serious risk."
Anyone with any information should contact Lothian and Borders Police on 0131 311 3131 or through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
People who read this story also read
- Rescue operation after two RAF Tornado jets crash in Moray Firth
- Schoolboy's Olympic-inspired dish served up in top restaurant
- Edinburgh city bypass partially closed after rush-hour crash
- Scotland's 'crown jewels' of historic documents bought for £1.3m
- Two-vehicle crash at Edinburgh's city bypass causes long tailbacks