A young man died after his car swerved off the road and ploughed into a tree.
The 23-year-old was fatally injured in the early hours crash in East Ayshire.
Strathclyde Police said the driver appeared to have lost control of his Peugeot 207 before it collided with a tree and then came to a halt in the main carriageway of the A71 in Newmilns.
The smash occurred on Loudon Road at around 2.55am on Sunday, police said. The driver was taken to Crosshouse Hospital where he died of his injuries a short time later.
Police said a report on the crash will be submitted and "enquiries are continuing in relation to the events leading up to the crash".
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sergeant Lorraine Lorimer at the road policing complex in Glasgow on 0141 532 6400.
People who read this story also read
- Pedestrian, 39, is knocked down by bus in Glasgow city centre
- 14-year-old girl sexually assaulted as she walked near beach with friend
- Ex-Rangers owner Craig Whyte's firm wound up over unpaid roofing bill
- Woman indecently assaulted as she walked home from night out
- 40 firefighters tackle large blaze at shop in West Lothian