A woman was grabbed and kissed by a man as she walked home from a night out in Musselburgh.
The 57-year-old had just walking along a path between two buildings on to Mansfield Avenue when she was approached by a man at around 12.15am on Sunday.
He grabbed hold of her and kissed her before attempting to assault her further. After struggling to free herself, the woman fled and contacted police.
Detectives are now urging anyone who can assist with their enquiries to come forward.
The man is described as being in his early 20s, 5ft 5ins tall with an olive complexion and short dark hair. He was wearing dark clothes.
A police spokesman: "This was an incredibly frightening experience for the victim and we are carrying out local enquiries to identify the man responsible.
"Anyone who was in the Mansfield Avenue area in the early hours of Sunday morning and remembers seeing anything suspicious is asked to contact police immediately.
"Similarly, members of the public who can assist identify the suspect are also asked to get in touch."
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Lothian and Borders Police on 0131 311 3131 or through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
People who read this story also read
- Pedestrian, 39, is knocked down by bus in Glasgow city centre
- Ex-Rangers owner Craig Whyte's firm wound up over unpaid roofing bill
- Father killed when he was hit by lorry on Edinburgh bypass is named
- Elderly prisoner who subjected children to decade of abuse dies
- Solicitor General to personally prosecute in Lynda Spence trial