A statement from the Crown Office said:
"The Crown Office has today instructed Strathclyde Police to conduct a criminal investigation into the acquisition of Rangers Football Club in May 2011 and the subsequent financial management of the Club.
"The investigation into alleged criminality follows a preliminary police examination of information passed to them in February this year by the Club administrators.
"The Procurator Fiscal for the West of Scotland will now work with Strathclyde Police to fully investigate the acquisition and financial management of Rangers Football Club and any related reports of alleged criminality during that process."
More About Focus on Rangers
- Dave King: Four key questions for Rangers board before fans invest
- Rangers hand over documents to Imran Ahmad ahead of court battle
- Rangers announce fresh losses as Deloitte warn over season tickets
- Rangers fan groups unite to back withholding of season ticket money
- Rangers oldco victory in big tax case contained 'errors in law'
- Charles Green due to give evidence in £500,000 Rangers lawsuit
- Rangers finance director Brian Stockbridge leaves by mutual consent
People who read this story also read
- Rangers crisis: Crown launches criminal investigation into Whyte takeover
- Nursery where toddler wandered off near motorway is to close
- Inverness CT become latest club to confirm they will say 'no to newco'
- Nine-year-old girl may be scarred for life after bottle attack in street
- Funeral to be held for teenager who died in fall from hotel balcony