The A9 is the deadliest road in Scotland and must be dualled as soon as possible, an MSP has said.
Mid Scotland and Fife representative Murdo Fraser revealed that 67 people were killed on the road between 2006 and 2010, giving the A9 the highest fatality rate of any road in Scotland.
The Scottish Conservative MSP obtained the numbers in a parliamentary question to Transport Minister Keith Brown, which also uncovered that the A90 was the second deadliest road with a death toll of 51 over five years.
In the same time period, there were a total of 1026 collisions on the A9 - an average of 200 every year.
Mr Fraser said: “It has been confirmed that the A9 has the highest fatality rate of all roads in Scotland. It is a terrible statistic to reveal and this road continues to injure and claim too many lives every year.
“It is distressing and sad to learn that 67 lives have been lost on the A9 over the last five years and every fatal accident on the A9 means a family and a community having lost a loved one.
“There have also been over a 1000 accidents on the A9 in the last five years, meaning that we are witnessing more than 200 accidents a year on average and an accident every second day.
“These statistics, and the grief for the many families, friends and communities affected by each accident, reinforces the need for the A9 to be made up to dual carriageway as quickly as possible. I would urge the Scottish Government to press ahead with its plans for dualling between Perth and Inverness as soon as it is practical and not wait until 2017.
“It is not acceptable for one road to cause so many accidents and so much anguish.”
More About A9 deaths
- Average speed cameras could be installed on 'Scotland’s deadliest road'
- Fuel spillage after crash between two cars and a lorry on A9
- Couple killed when Harley Davidson crashed on A9 bridge named
- Two killed as Harley-Davidson crashes on Highland bridge
- £3bn project for dualling of notorious A9 road takes step forward
- Lorry filled with cardboard catches fire and closes busy A9 road
- Two people injured after car and motorcycle in collision on A9
- 12 taken to hospital following fatal collision between van and bus on A9
- Two dead as bus heading to RockNess collides with van on A9
- Two lorry drivers killed in crash on notorious A9 road identified
- Two lorry drivers killed in collision closing A9 in both directions
- Father-of-two killed in fireball crash on A9 named
People who read this story also read
- Road delays after crash involving coach blocks A82 in both directions
- Tributes paid to actor who died shortly before he was due on stage
- Surgeon admits launching sex attack on student nurse on bus
- £75m state-of-the-art mental health facility nears completion
- Alex Salmond claims Observer newspaper accessed his bank account