Two men have been arrested in connection with the alleged theft of money from a public fountain.
The pair supposedly took the adage “See a penny, pick it up; all day long you’ll have good luck” a little far and saw their luck run out.
Police went to the water feature on Court Street in Haddington, East Lothian at around 2.40am on Thursday.
Members of the public had reported that people were standing in the water and removing coins.
Lothian and Borders Police said that almost £29 in change was recovered. It has since been returned to the fountain.
Two men aged 21 and 24 were arrested by officers.
They are due to appear in court at a later date.
People who read this story also read
- Drug dealer convicted of raping victim in knifepoint sex attack
- Football star Garry O’Connor cleared of Ferrari insurance fraud
- Man 'scarred' after he is bottled and robbed near Glasgow Gaelic School
- Abseiling firefighters rescue tourists trapped on Arthur's Seat
- Armed robber threatens woman then steals hundreds of pounds from bookmaker