A student has composed a bagpipe piece which he will perform for the Dalai Lama when he visits Dundee next month.
Craig Weir,19, who has been piping for the past 10 years, has written 'The Dalai Lama's Welcome to Dundee' especially for the occasion, and will play it as he pipes His Holiness on to the city's Caird Hall stage on June 22.
Craig has recorded the piece at Dundee College's Gardyne Road and a copy will be presented to The Dalai Lama as a memento of his time in the city.
Craig, who lives in Newbigging, near Dundee, has just completed the first year of a community learning and development degree.
He said: “It is a great honour to have been chosen to welcome His Holiness to Dundee, and to have had the opportunity to write a special piece commemorating the occasion is amazing.
“I’m really excited about the whole thing and looking forward to giving The Dalai Lama a traditional Scottish welcome. I hope he likes the piece I have written for him. Being chosen to do this really is the proudest moment of my life.”
The Dalai Lama will visit the city as part of a tour of the UK and will also give a talk.
People who read this story also read
- Dalai Lama tickets sell out in two hours
- Cocaine with a street value of £1m found after lorry stopped
- Woman with learning difficulties missing after leaving for shopping trip
- Paramedic found woman covered in blood after hearing a 'cry for help'
- Rapist who held student hostage for 13 hours has jail term reduced