Juries in criminal trials could be told about the accused's previous convictions.
Radical plans would bring Scotland into line with courts in England.
The Scottish Law Commission is recommending the move, but critics fear it would put at risk the age-old presumption of innocent until proven guilty.
Scotland Tonight discussed the issue with the former head of the Scottish Police Federation Les Gray and the criminal advocate Derek Ogg
More About Scotland Tonight
- Is the G8 a talking shop for world leaders or capable of change?
- Greg Hemphill and Robert Florence prepare for wrestling bout
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Moors Murderer Ian Brady 'suffers from paranoid schizophrenia'
- What does the future hold for Hearts as administration looms large?
- Are child beauty pageants harmless fun or sexist and exploitative?
- Can Hearts be saved from the brink or is it too late for the club?