Juries in criminal trials could be told about the accused's previous convictions.
Radical plans would bring Scotland into line with courts in England.
The Scottish Law Commission is recommending the move, but critics fear it would put at risk the age-old presumption of innocent until proven guilty.
Scotland Tonight discussed the issue with the former head of the Scottish Police Federation Les Gray and the criminal advocate Derek Ogg
More About Scotland Tonight
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is UKIP north of the border at war with itself?
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?
- Scotland Tonight: A reflection on the The Clutha helicopter crash
- STV shows interactive Google+ hangout debate on Scottish independence