A woman has died after a fire broke out at a flat in Aberdeen in the early hours of the morning.
Around 20 firefighters, some wearing breathing apparatus, tackled the blaze which broke out at the property on the city’s Gillespie Crescent at around 5.30am on Friday.
A spokeswoman for Grampian Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received the call at 5.27am and four fire appliances attended the scene. We used one hose reel jet and one main jet to extinguish the fire.
“We have a fire investigation unit currently at the scene investigating the cause of the fire.”
A Grampian Police spokesman confirmed that a joint investigation with Grampian Fire and Rescue Service will take place to establish the cause of the blaze.
He added: “A deceased woman was found within the building which was well alight by the time fire crews arrived at the scene.”
Gillespie Crescent remains partially closed to traffic.
People who read this story also read
- Male stripper 'recklessly exposed himself at busy city restaurant'
- Teenager treated in hospital after 'unprovoked' attack by woman in street
- Former football manager faces charges over indecent image of child
- Anger as historic 19th century bell stolen from Aberdeenshire cemetery
- Oor Wullie garden ornament stolen from garden mysteriously returns