A man is in a critical but stable condition in hospital after being found injured in a house.
The 67-year-old was found in a house on Blantyre Terrace, Buckie on Tuesday night.
He was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary where he remains critical.
Grampian Police are now conducting door-to-door enquiries to try and find out what has happened.
Detective Inspector Stewart Mackie said: "At this stage it is unclear how the man came by his injuries and officers are working to try to piece together a full picture of the circumstances.
“Officers are conducting door to door enquiries and I would appeal for anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area during Tuesday evening to contact us as soon as possible."
Anyone with any information regarding the incident is asked to contact Grampian Police on 0845 600 5700 or, if you wish to remain, anonymous, Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
People who read this story also read
- Firefighters are called to tackle blaze in basement of city pub
- Man died after being stabbed through heart with his own knife
- Police found drug addict's £74,000 heroin stash at his parents' home
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash after bike careers off road
- £23m school proposed in city to accommodate expanding population