A swimming pool will reopen to the public on Thursday after it was closed when an 11-year-old boy was pulled unconscious from it last month.
Stonehaven Open Air Pool was shut on June 28 to allow the council and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to carry out investigations.
Aberdeenshire Council has now completed its initial investigation into the incident and has carried out a review of procedures.
The youngster involved has now returned home from hospital.
Wilf Weir, head of service for education, learning and leisure at the local authority said: “Following our initial investigation, we believe that appropriate procedures were followed. In order to reassure the public, we are enhancing the number of lifeguards on duty at the pool. We are also offering continued support to staff.
“We would like to express our thanks to users of the pool for their patience during the period of closure, and would like to thank the Friends of Stonehaven Open Air Pool for their continuing support.”
Aberdeenshire Council provides the lifeguard staff at the pool but it is run in partnership with the Friends of Stonehaven Open Air Pool who maintain, upgrade, refurbish and decorate the facility voluntarily to ensure it can remain open.
Friends the Open Air Pool chairman Mike Robins said: “We’re delighted and relieved. It’s a mixed emotion as from our customers point of view it has been difficult. We’re only open for a short season and it is extremely difficult to some to terms with.
“It was a serious incident and we believe it has been dealt with seriously and the council must be commended for that.
“We now look forward to now a change in the weather hopefully to encourage people through the turnstile to help us through the last few weeks of the season.”
People who read this story also read
- Drug dealer sped at 130mph along A9 during police chase
- Relief as heavy rain eases and risk of flooding decreases in the east
- Village forced to cancel talent show auditions after receiving one entry
- Death of woman in flat in Aberdeen being treated as unexplained
- No probe into death of family in car at level crossing train crash