A woman has died after being hit by a car on Orkney.
Barbara Bews, 81, was walking on Thom Street in Kirkwall at around 9pm on Saturday when the incident happened.
Mrs Bews, known as "Vera", was taken to Balfour Hospital where she later died from her injuries.
Thom Street remains closed while investigators from Northern Constabulary Road Policing Unit conduct their enquiries.
A police spokesperson said: “Northern Constabulary are requesting that anyone who may have witnessed the collision contact Kirkwall Police Station on 01856 872241.”
Mrs Bews was from the Meadowbank area of Kirkwall.
People who read this story also read
- Man arrested in connection with death of 29-year-old outside city pub
- Police investigation launched following the death of a child in Stirling
- Former principal claims he was dismissed for being ‘white Christian’
- Yes Scotland recruits 4,000 ambassadors to make the case for independence
- Independence campaign changes website over Twitter follower complaints