A council candidate who campaigned dressed as a penguin has received more votes than the Liberal Democrats.
Professor Pongoo is an independent candidate in the Pentland Hills ward for the City of Edinburgh Council.
With 444 votes, he received more than both the Liberal Democrat candidate and the Green party candidate in the local authority elections.
The Liberal Democrat candidate Stuart Bridges received just 370 and Phyl Stuart Meyer from the Green party got 322.
Professor Pongoo, whose real name is Mike Ferrigan, carried out his campaign dressed in a penguin costume. He even promised to go to every full council meeting in the costume.
The Pentland Hills ward was one of the first to be declared at the count on Friday. The three seats were won by SNP Bill Henderson, Labour’s Ricky Henderson and Conservative Dominic Heslop.
In detail: Dramatic power shift
The chart below shows the balance of power in the EdinburghCity Chambers following the 2012 poll:
How things stood before today's election:
More About Edinburgh Election 2012
- Councils in Lothians strike deals after days of negotiations
- Councils across Scotland starting to take shape after days of negotiations
- Negotiations across the Lothians in the wake of local government elections
- Election 2012: Huge losses for Liberal Democrats in the east
- Local government elections: Liberal Democrats lose leader in the capital
- Man dressed as penguin receives more votes than the Liberal Democrats