Pensioners and disabled people will be able to travel on the Edinburgh trams for free.
The City of Edinburgh Council has agreed to look at ways of extending the National Entitlement Card to the transport system once it opens.
It was initially unclear whether or not the passes would be allowed on the trams.
But the council said they have spoken to Transport Scotland, who run the scheme, and will do what they can to make sure they can be used.
Cllr Lesley Hinds said: "We are determined that Edinburgh residents who are eligible for free travel across the country should be able to use the tram on the same basis and we’re now working with Transport Scotland to explore ways in which Edinburgh Council can support such a local scheme.
"The tram needs to be wholly integrated into the national transport network and, for me, this means that over 60s and people with disabilities should have free use of the service.
"We’ll now start looking at the practicalities of funding this whilst operating within the national card scheme and we’ll work closely with Transport Scotland to achieve this."
Transport minister Keith Brown said: "Securing the future of the national concessionary bus scheme was a key commitment for the Scottish Government and I am pleased that, following our discussions, Edinburgh City Council has agreed that it will look at ways of funding any local concessionary scheme for the trams.
"This is good news for local residents in Edinburgh and the aim is that this scheme will help promote integration between the tram and local bus services in the city.
"Importantly, concessionary passengers will continue to be able to travel for free on buses just as they do now."
More About Trams
- Were you affected by delayed and over budget Edinburgh tram project?
- Edinburgh trams: Inquiry made statutory after 'lack of co-operation'
- More than 200 passengers caught trying to dodge Edinburgh tram fares
- Edinburgh trams: Lord Hardie will lead inquiry into late project
- Edinburgh trams: Public inquiry ordered into over-budget project
- Girl hit by Edinburgh tram on Princes Street in first week of service
- Around 40,000 people travelled on Edinburgh trams on first weekend