Britain's most successful Olympian Sir Chris Hoy received another honour on Sunday when he was awarded the freedom of his home city.
The six-time gold medal-winning cyclist joined other Olympians and Paralympians on an open-top bus parade through Edinburgh before attending a civic reception where he received the freedom of the Scottish capital.
The parade started at 2.15pm and the route took the sportsmen and women from the City Chambers on the Royal Mile to the Assembly Rooms via the Mound and Hanover Street.
Edinburgh city councillors unanimously voted last month to honour to Sir Chris. Freedom of the city is granted to people who have distinguished themselves through their work or efforts, or to recognise the respect and high esteem in which they are held by the people of the city.
The cyclist led the official celebrations for all of Scotland's Olympic and Paralympic athletes in Glasgow on Friday. A parade led more than 50 athletes into George Square where they were introduced one by one to a crowd of around 17,000.
The biggest cheer was saved for last when Sir Chris took to the stage. He said: "It's been a day to remember and I just want to thank everyone for turning out.
"It's overwhelming the support the team has been getting, you can't help but be taken away by the whole occasion and all the athletes are saying the same thing."
Afterwards he said he was looking forward to the Edinburgh parade as it would be "even more personal and emotional".
Sir Chris was born in the Scottish capital in 1976 and was inspired to take up cycling after watching classic movie ET.
He raced BMX until he was 14 years old, becoming Scottish Champion and ranking second in Britain and ninth in the world, but he turned his attention to track sprint cycling in 1992 and has never looked back.
More About Olympics 2012
- Team GB Handball coach ready for homecoming game at Ravenscraig
- Olympic rower Katherine Grainger receives CBE from Princess Royal
- Jamie McLaughlin named East Kilbride Pirates' player of the year
- Opinion: Is Andy Murray the greatest ever Scottish sportsman?
- Day in quotes: Edinburgh Parade and Sir Chris Hoy's Freedom of the City
- Edinburgh’s parade in pictures, Tweets and Olympic medals
- Sir Chris Hoy receives the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh
- Gongs of praise for Sir Chris Hoy's Olympic homecoming [Video]
- Edinburgh's Instagram generation snaps Olympic parade [Gallery]
- Sir Chris Hoy thanks Scots for support through Olympic journey
- View how citizen Glasgow captured Olympics parade in pictures [Gallery]